A face mask is an excellent addition to your skincare routine, and it instantly gives your skin a boost. Moreover, face masks come in different forms to suit every skincare type and issue possible. You can still take this customization higher by creating homemade face masks using natural ingredients.
Face Masks in Skincare
Face masks are beauty products designed to give instant hydration to your skin and as an immediate, although temporary, skincare treatment. Face masks are typically applied on the skin and left for about fifteen to thirty minutes before washing or peeling it off. It’s a part of the famous Korean 10-step skincare routine.
Face masks also come in a variety of textures and consistencies, ranging from smooth made from blended fruits to coarser formulations intended for facial exfoliation and scrubbing. The cloth-based mask is famous in Korea, and they are also known as sheet masks. If you don’t have time for DIY, Yesstyle has sheet mask products from The Face Shop, Neogen, Nature Republic, and others. Check out Yesstyle for more sheet mask choices.
Skin Treatment Homemade Face Masks
Before starting, make sure that all the materials and containers are properly cleaned and sanitized. Most DIY face masks also have a short shelf life, and thus ensuring the cleanliness of your pots and ingredients is paramount to prevent spoilage.
Here are some helpful ideas for creating your own DIY homemade face masks:
For glowing skin: Strawberry Face Mask
Strawberries contain antioxidants and enzymes that help your skin look brighter. For this face mask, ‘you’ll need
- A handful of fresh (not canned) strawberries
- A teaspoon of honey
- Wash the strawberries properly.
- Mix strawberries and honey in a blender and blend until you achieve a smooth consistency.
- You may use the preparation immediately. Also, you can store the remaining mixture into an airtight container, and keep in the fridge for up to one week.
For healing sensitive skin: Aloe Vera Face Mask
Aloe vera is a succulent that is known to heal a variety of skin issues like burned skin, irritation, and dryness. It is also excellent for healing sensitive skin. ‘Here’s what ‘you’ll need for an aloe vera face mask:
- 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel
- Half a cucumber
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- Mince or chop cucumbers before blending in the blender to form a smooth paste that is applicable on the skin.
- Gently add the aloe vera gel and yogurt into the cucumber paste, and blend until mixed well.
- Use this preparation immediately, or chill for at least 30 minutes in the fridge before using. This face mask can only last for a day.
For acne-prone skin: Egg White and Lemon Face Mask
Eggs contain proteins that help alleviate blemishes and oiliness that cause skin irritation and breakouts. This face mask also makes for an excellent ”facelift” that helps prevent fine lines and wrinkles. ‘Here’s what ‘you’ll need to create this face mask:
- 1 egg
- A few drops of lemon juice
- Crack an egg and separate the yolk from the white.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the lemon juice with the egg white, and whisk together with a whisk or electric mixer.
- Apply the mixture on your face evenly. Use this face mask immediately or within a few hours only.
For clearing blackheads: Bentonite Clay Face Mask
Blackheads can be tough and tricky to remove because they lodge deeply in the pores. Clay masks, however, are a great solution to blackheads because clay is highly absorbing and draws out oily impurities very well. ‘Here’s what ‘you’ll need to create your clay face mask:
- ½ teaspoon bentonite clay
- 1 teaspoon activated charcoal
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin powder
- 2 tablespoons heated distilled water
- Non-metal mixing bowl
- Mix the bentonite clay, activated charcoal, and gelatin powder in a non-metal mixing bowl like ceramic, plastic, or wooden bowl. Do not use a metal bowl or a metal spoon because clay reacts with metals and prevent it from mixing well with other ingredients.
- Add the heated distilled water and mix well.
- Apply on your face after the preparation has cooled enough to be safely applied on your face.
Face masks are a great addition to your skincare routine. They are also straightforward to make and can be customized to suit your skincare needs. Just make sure to keep your ingredients fresh and your materials sanitized to prevent contamination and use these preparations appropriately.